Pages

Friday, February 3, 2017

Beyonce's Pregnancy Photos and the Contemporary Artist Behind Them...

















Beyoncé can break the internet anytime she wants, and yesterday she did, posting a striking photo announcing her pregnancy with twins to Instagram. Shot by LA and New York-based artist Awol Erizku, that image was just part of a larger set released today, in which she poses underwater and references classical artworks like Botticelli's The Birth of Venus.
"I make things that I want to see in the world," Erizku told The Creators Project in a 2015 interview. "I’m deeply interested in color and composition and how things come together. If you look at my studio, I just take found objects and then I repurpose them so they can have a meaning, and they look like hopefully interesting objects to look at, but deep down inside, it’s all from the way I look at the world and how colors speak to me."
His chromatic instinct and attraction to bold floral arrangements mark the photos as Erizku's as much as Beyoncé's. Fans of Erizku's work will notice one of his found objects in the photoshoot: Beyoncé sits atop a red car inflated with flowers, taken from Erizku's 2016 collaboration with Sarah Lineburger, Ask the Dust
http://thecreatorsproject.vice.com/blog/beyonce-pregnancy-photos-awol-erizku
Follow Awol Erizku's work on his website. See the full image set on Beyoncé's website.